Sunday, April 1, 2012

DIY Tutorials: Cupcake Crayons!


 Hey guys! I swear, this is the LAST time I apologize for being a lazy blogger. I fell ill for most of March and have finally got my spring back! I have so many wonderful things planned for April and May. And what better way to kick off April than with a super fun tutorial on how to make your own crayons? I got this idea from a craft kit we carry at The Granville Island Toy Company (called Alex Doodle Cake Crayons).




What you need: * A bunch of crayons! I found Crayola worked best for me, because their wax is a pretty decent quality with a lot of colour pigment. * A fun silicone mould. Mine is shaped like cupcakes, but there are SO many fun molds out there these days from companies like Fred (just type in ice cube tray to see all of their designs) . * A knife, scooper, and cookie sheet.


Step one: Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. While the oven is heating up, starting scraping and chopping your crayons into little bits. Scoop the bits into your silicone mould. Make sure that the mould is heaping, because the wax melts down quite a lot. Don't be scared to mix really crazy colours together!


Step two: Once you've filled all of your moulds, place the mould on a cookie sheet and put in the oven for roughly 8 minutes. Check it after 8 minutes, and if the wax is slightly bubbling on the top, you know they've melted properly. Remove the tray!


Step three: Once the crayons have completely cooled, pop them out of the mould and you should have funky rainbow crayons! If you've used Crayola crayons, there's no need to worry about your silicone mould. Just give it a thorough washing and you'll be able to use it again for ice cubes or what have you. Crayola crayons are totally non-toxic!


Now you have your own awesome batch of creative crayons! This tutorial is great for families to use up their bits of broken crayons. I'm using mine to give away in goody bags at a tea party later this month. They'd work so well for any type of goody bag or celebration. And there are so many wicked moulds out there, you could go crazy with ideas. I want to try making robot shaped ones next!


I hope you guys liked my first tutorial! I'll be posting many more, as well as vegan recipes, throughout all of April. I'd love to see the crayons you come up with as well, so please comment with pictures if you can!

Korrina

No comments:

Post a Comment